E-mail :: Print
What is Identity Theft?
Identity Theft may include theft of any personally-identifying information including:
Name: Someone establishes service in your name without your authorization.
Social Security Number (SSN): Someone uses your SSN to obtain services without your authorization.
How do I report Credit or Debit Card Fraud?
Financial account fraud occurs when someone uses your bank account information, credit or debit card to pay for services without your authorization.
If your bank account or debit/credit card statement includes unauthorized charges, duplicate charges, or incorrect amounts paid to Charter, contact your financial institution to dispute the charges. Your financial institution will handle the investigation.
How do I report Identity Theft to Charter?
In order for Charter to investigate Identity Theft, (in which someone used your identity to obtain services from Charter Communications), an Identity Theft packet must be completed.
Download ID Theft Packet
Identity Theft Packet Contents and Requirements
1) A completed Identity Theft Affidavit (contained within the ID theft packet), notarized by an official public notary to include a stamp or seal from said notary.
2) A copy of a valid government-issued photo-identification card (for example, your driver’s license, state issued ID card, or your passport).
3) Proof of residency during the time that the disputed bill, fraudulent account, or other event occurred (for example, a rental/lease agreement in your name, a copy of a utility bill or a copy of an insurance bill).
4) A copy of the report you filed with the police or sheriff’s department.
When you have completed the packet and gathered the items listed above, please mail a copy or fax it to:
ATTN: Law Enforcement Response Team - Identity Theft
12405 Powerscourt Drive
St. Louis, MO 63131-3674
Fax Number: 1-888-726-9069
Note: Charter will be unable to process claims that are incomplete or missing any required information.
To request to have an Identity Theft packet mailed to you, please call 314-288-3110 and leave the following information:
1) First and Last Name
2) Complete mailing address including city, state, and zip code
3) Telephone number where you can be reached
When will I get a response?
Once Charter receives all required documentation, an investigation will be opened and a confirmation letter will be sent.
1) Investigations generally take 3 - 6 weeks to complete; depending upon the nature of the claim.
2) At the close of the investigation, if Charter has determined an account was opened fraudulently, Charter will make the appropriate billing adjustments and notify the credit agencies of the theft.
3) You will receive notification if there is not sufficient evidence to substantiate a claim of Identity Theft.
For further information on identify theft and the steps to report it to other companies and agencies, please see the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) website at http://ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/ or contact the FTC at
All marks belong to their respective owners. Some of the links in this article are to Internet sites maintained by third parties, no inference or assumption should be made and no representation may be implied that either Charter or its affiliated entities operates or controls in any way any information, products or services on these third party sites.